A Pilonidal cyst is nothing but an unusual pocket in the skin that comprises skin debris and hair. It is present near the tailbone, which is at the top of the buttock. Mostly it happens when the hair punctures the skin and becomes embedded.
In case, Pilonidal cyst infection takes place, it will become quite painful. During those times, you may have to go through a little surgery to get rid of the cyst. The experts may also remove the cyst by making a minute cut in the skin.
So, here let’s discuss everything that revolves around this health complication. It will help you gain a greater idea about this matter.
What are the symptoms of pilonidal cyst infection?
- You will witness a pit near the buttock crease’s top.
- Irritating pain.
- The draining pus will create an odor.
- Inflammation of the skin will take place.
- Swollen skin will be there.
So if you are going through any of these symptoms, you should get in touch with a doctor as soon as possible. Otherwise, there is a possibility that it will create several complications in the future.
Risk factors that increase the chances of this disease
- If you are overweight, you will be more susceptible to this infection.
- Sitting for long hours may elevate the chances of triggering this infection.
- Having stiff and thick body hair may perk up the possibility of this disease.
- An inactive lifestyle is one of the biggest reasons behind this health problem.
How to treat this infection?
Now let’s take a look at the treatment procedure for this infection. To get rid of it, all you need to do is visit the care provider’s office, and the experts will take care of the situation there.
The first thing that they will do is numb the area. After that, the professional will make a small cut to ensure the drainage of the cyst. In case the cyst returns, you should take advice from a doctor without delaying any further.
Once the care provider is done with the surgery, there are a couple of things that they may do:
Keep the wound open
Here, the surgeon will keep the wound open and will apply some dressing to it. It will allow the area to heal from the inside. Well, it is a long process, but if you can follow it precisely, there is less possibility that the cyst will come back.
Stitch the wound and close it
Compared to the other process, it will take less time to heal. But there is a greater possibility that the cyst will come back again.
So if you want to take our advice, we would suggest you go through the first process. Maybe it will take a bit longer, but the results will be satisfactory in the long run.
Besides, there is another important thing that you need to keep in mind. Once the surgery is done, you need to take care of the wound quite responsibly. Otherwise, you may come across some unwanted health complications.
You need to understand that care during the healing process is essential. In that case, one of the best things that you can do is to keep in touch with the care provider’s office. If you are facing any hesitation or confusion, contacting the office will be the wisest decision.
What are the steps involved with this diagnosis?
- The primary step involves the doctor asking you about the symptoms.
- Next, the doctor will ask you about your medical history as well as personal habits.
- Finally, they will check the affected area before providing you with advice.
How to prepare for the appointment?
To get the appointment, you need to get in touch with the primary care provider. There you need to set an appointment, and after that, the office may send you immediately to the doctor or the surgeon that is serving in this field, mostly to a dermatologist.
What can you do before the appointment?
Before going for the appointment, you can prepare a set of questions and get the answers to them. It will help you understand your condition in a better way. Well, here is the list of questions.
- What was the beginning point of the symptoms?
- Did you come across the problem earlier?
- Is there anything that elevates your symptoms?
- Are there any medications that you take regularly?
What are the questions that you should expect from your doctor?
There is a likeliness that your care provider will ask you questions such as:
- Do you have a fever?
- Are you suffering from sleepless nights due to this issue?
- Does your workforce allow you to sit throughout the day?
Once you give them the answers, it will help the doctors to understand the pilonidal cyst causes.
These are all the things that you need to know about this infection. If you think that you are going through the symptoms of this complication, you should never hesitate to contact the care provider’s office or the doctor. Otherwise, there is a possibility that it will hamper your overall standard of living.
So go through the points that we have mentioned above. It will make your day easier.